AB Equipment

18 Branches Across New Zealand


0800 303 090

Training course search

Class 2 - Truck Licence - Learners Training

A Class 2 licence is required for a Rigid Truck up to 18,000kgs gross vehicle mass (GVM) or any two axle truck. The GVM is the maximum weight the manufacturer states the vehicle is capable of carrying regardless of how much it actually weighs at any time.

Before attending the Class 2 - Truck License course you will need to obtain your Class 2 learners license (2) through VTNZ or AA. To do this, you need to:

Undergo a Licensing Medical. Your GP will be able to do this for you.

Study for the test so you are ready. You can do this by visiting www.drivingtests.co.nz (you will need to navigate your way to the class 2 section of this site). Dont forget to brush up on the general road rules section, as this is a large portion of the test.
NB: Some AB Equipment branches offer a classroom option for this test. Please contact your nearest branch if this is something you are interested in attending. Charges apply.

Once you are comfortable with the test questions and have your medical paperwork, take this, along with your drivers license and proof of address (some form of bill works well) to either VTNZ or AA. You will complete a 35 question multi-choice questionnaire and upon successful completion will be issued with a new drivers license, now showing your 2L.